Pride and Prejudice 1995 BBC Miniseries Script -Episode 6


Episode 1Episode 2Episode 3 | Episode 4 | Episode 5 | Episode 6


I. Mr and Mrs Wickham

[INT. LONGBOURN, MRS BENNET’S BEDROOM - DAY]
[Mrs Bennet giggles with delight. Elizabeth and Jane are with her.]

MRS BENNET: Oh, I knew it would all come out right in the end. Oh, my dear, dear Lydia. She will be married. Oh, my good kind brother. I knew how it would be. I knew he would manage everything. Oh, but the clothes. 

[Elizabeth sits down.]

MRS BENNET: And, of course, she must be married from Longbourn. This is all nonsense about her being married from Cheapside. She must be married in Longbourn church where all her friends can see her.

ELIZABETH: No, Mum, that is not possible. You must see that.

MRS BENNET: I do not see that! Why should I see that? Why should that be? 

ELIZABETH: Because she has been living with Mr Wickham in London. And if she were to arrive home unmarried still…

MRS BENNET: Oh, well. I suppose it must be, if you put it like that, but it is all very vexing. And your uncle has been most high-handed. I don’t see why he should take so much upon him.

JANE: Mamma, we are greatly indebted to Mr Gardiner. 

ELIZABETH: He must have laid out a great deal of money to pay off Mr Wickham’s debts – More than we can ever repay.

MRS BENNET: And why should he not? Who else should lay out money but her own uncle?

ELIZABETH: Mother! 

[Jane and Elizabeth look distressed.]

MRS BENNET: Oh, well, I am so happy. A daughter married, and only just sixteen! Mrs Wickham. Ooh, how well that sounds. Oh, but th--the wedding clothes! Lizzy, my dear, go down to your father and ask how much he will give her. 

--
[INT. LONGBOURN, FRONT HALL/STUDY - DAY]
[Elizabeth comes down the steps and sighs, pausing in the doorway. Her mother can be heard from upstairs.] 

MRS BENNET: Oh, Jane, as soon as I am dressed, I shall go to Meryton and tell my sister Philips. 

[Elizabeth goes to her father in the study, who is facing the window.] 

MRS BENNET: Oh, ring the bell for Hill. An airing will do me a great deal of good, I’m sure, and I shall call on Lady Lucas and Mrs Long. Oh, Jane!

ELIZABETH: Papa. 

[Mr Bennet turns.] 

MRS BENNET (background): Jane, it’s such wonderful news! 

[Mr Bennet takes Elizabeth’s hand.] 

MRS BENNET (background): Oh, where is Hill? Oh, Hill, have you heard the good news? 

[Elizabeth and Mr Bennet listen to Mrs Bennet for a moment.]

MR BENNET: Shut the door, Lizzy. 

MRS BENNET (background): …and you shall have a bowl of punch… 

[The mothers voice stops as the door closes and Elizabeth leans against the door.] 

MR BENNET: Someone, at least, finds pleasure in these events.

ELIZABETH: But, considering what we thought only a few hours ago, it’s not so bad, is it? Do you think my uncle had to pay out a great deal of money?

MR BENNET: I do. Wickham’s a fool if he takes her with a farthing less than ₤10, 000. 

[Elizabeth gapes.]

ELIZABETH: Ten thousand pounds! Heaven forbid. How is half so much a sum to be repaid?

MR BENNET: I wish I had laid by an annual sum to bribe worthless young men to marry my daughters, but I have not, I confess. The reason was, of course, I intended to father a son. 

[Mr Bennet sits.] 

MR BENNET: The son would inherit the estate, no part of which would be entailed away; so providing for my widow and any other children. By the time your mother and I had abandoned hope of producing an heir, it seemed a little late to begin saving. 

[Elizabeth shakes her head.]

ELIZABETH: You could not have foreseen this, father.

MR BENNET: I should have taken better care of you all. The satisfaction of prevailing upon one of the most worthless young men in Britain might then have rested in its proper place. As it is, the thing is done with extraordinary little inconvenience to myself. When you take into account what I shall save on Lydia’s board and pocket allowance, I’m scarcely ten pounds a year worse off. I’m heartily ashamed of myself, Lizzy. But don’t despair…It will pass…

[Mr Bennet stands.] 

MR BENNET: And no doubt, more quickly than it should.

--
[EXT/INT. LONDON, CHURCH - DAY]
[A carriage pulls up to a large church where the Gardiners and Lydia step out and walk up the steps.]

LYDIA: Where is everyone? 

[They enter the church. Mr Wickham stands and turns to his bride, Darcy stands up beside him. The minister steps up to the pulpit.]

Minister: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here in the sight of God… 

[The Gardiners do not look pleased.] 

MR GARDINER (V.O.): “Mr Wickham is to resign from the militia and go into a northern regiment. Happily, there are still some among his former friends who are willing to assist him in purchasing a commission.” 

[Darcy looks at Wickham.] 

MR GARDINER (V.O.): “I have written to Colonel Forster to request that he will satisfy Mr Wickham’s creditors in Brighton, for which I have pledged myself.”

--
[INT. LONGBOURN, DINING ROOM - MORNING]
[The scene changes to Mr Bennet reading Mr Gardiner’s letter aloud at the breakfast table.]

MR BENNET: “Perhaps you will be so good as to do the same for his creditors in Meryton, of whom I enclose a list…”

[Mr Bennet holds up the list.] 

MR BENNET: “…according to his information.” Hm. “I hope, at least, he has not deceived us.” Hmm, let us all hope so. “As soon as they are married, they will journey directly to join his regiment in Newcastle, unless they are first invited to Longbourn.”

MRS BENNET: Oh, yes, my dear Mr Bennet, of course they must come here. I long to see my dear Lydia. And dear Wickham, too, of course. But it is shocking that poor Lydia should have been sent away from Brighton – and such a favourite among all the officers. There were several of the young men there, you know, that she liked very much, and they will miss her as much as she will miss them. These northern officers may not be quite so pleasant. 

MR BENNET: My dear Mrs Bennet, I’m sure our youngest daughter will have no difficulty in finding friends as silly as she is in Newcastle. She has a talent for making a spectacle of herself wherever she goes. 

MRS BENNET: But if they are to leave Brighton, they should come to Hertfordshire and reside in the neighbourhood. 

[Elizabeth looks quickly at her mother.] 

MRS BENNET: Haye Park might do, if the Gouldings would quit it. Or the great house at Stoke, if the drawing rooms were larger. 

KITTY: Or Purvis Lodge.

MRS BENNET: Oh, no, dear, not Purvis Lodge. The attics there are dreadful.

MR BENNET: Mrs Bennet, before you take any, or all of these houses, let us come to a right understanding. Into one house in the neighbourhood they shall never have admittance: Mr and Mrs Wickham will never be welcome to Longbourn. 

--
[EXT. LONGBOURN - DAY]
[The scene changes to the Wickhams riding in a carriage to Longbourn. The Bennets come out to greet them.]

LYDIA: Lord! It seems an age since we were at Longbourn. And here you all are, just the same.

MRS BENNET: Oh, my dear, dear Lydia… 

[Mrs Bennet hugs Lydia.] 

MRS BENNET: …at last! Oh, I do believe you’ve grown. 

[Wickham smiles and Lydia is giddy.] 

MRS BENNET: Oh, how we’ve missed you. 

[Mrs Bennet takes Lydia’s face in her hands.] 

LYDIA: Oh, we’ve been far too merry to miss any of you. 

[Lydia and Mrs Bennet giggle.]

LYDIA: Well, here we are. 

[Lydia takes Wickham’s arm.] 

LYDIA: Haven’t I caught myself a handsome husband?

MRS BENNET: Indeed, you have, my love. 

[Wickham beams proudly, but Elizabeth is not happy.] 

MRS BENNET: You are very welcome, sir.

MR WICKHAM: You are all goodness and kindness, Ma’am, as always. 

[Wickham bows.]

MRS BENNET: Oh, let me give you a kiss, then. 

[Mrs Bennet giggles and kisses Wickham’s cheek.]

MR BENNET: Well, shall we go in?

MRS BENNET: Oh. 

[Mrs Bennet takes Mr Bennet’s arm, and Jane is about to step forward when the Wickhams follow behind.]

LYDIA: No, Jane. I take your place now. You must go lower, because I am a married woman. 

[Lydia chuckles, and they continue walking.] 

LYDIA: “Mrs Wickham.” 

[Lydia looks back at her sisters.] 

LYDIA: Lord! How droll that sounds. 

[Jane and Elizabeth look at each other as they follow the Wickhams into the house by order of birth.]



***


II. A Mistake In Pride

[EXT. LONGBOURN, PARK - DAY]
[Wickham rides around in a field while Lydia, Kitty, Jane, and Elizabeth walk, occasionally watching him as he passes by.] 

LYDIA: How do you like my husband, Lizzy? I believe you envy me. Was he not a favourite of yours once?

ELIZABETH: Not at all, I assure you.

LYDIA: What a pity we didn’t all go to Brighton. I could have got husbands for all my sisters.

ELIZABETH: Thank you for my share of the favour, but I don’t particularly like your way of getting husbands.

LYDIA: Isn’t my husband a fine horseman? Colonel Forster himself said he has as good a seat as any officer in the regiment. 

[Wickham takes a small jump and Lydia giggles.] 

LYDIA: I wished he could wear his red coat at the wedding and have a guard of honour with their sabres drawn. But the officers could not be spared from their duties. And in the end there was no one there but my aunt and uncle and Mr Darcy.

[Elizabeth stops.]

ELIZABETH: Mr Darcy? 

[They all stop.] 

ELIZABETH: Mr Darcy was at your wedding?

LYDIA: Oh, yes. For someone had to come with Wickham and be groomsman. I’d much rather it had been Denny or one of the other friends, but—

[Lydia gasps and puts her hands over her mouth, as Elizabeth ponders very seriously.] 

LYDIA: Oh, Lord. Oh Lord, I forgot. I wasn’t to say a word. And I promised him so faithfully. What will Wickham say now? (giggle) It was supposed to be a secret. 

[Lydia giggles. Wickham rides around to them again with a smile and the sisters begin walking again.]

ELIZABETH (V.O.): “My dear aunt, pray write and let me understand how he, of all people, should have been there, unless you too are bound in the secrecy, which Lydia seems to think necessary.” 

--
[INT. LONDON, GRACECHURCH STREET - DAY]
[The scene fades to Mrs Gardiner writing a response.]

Mrs Gardiner (V.O.): “My dear niece, I must confess myself surprised by your letter. If you were indeed in ignorance of the part that Mr Darcy played in bringing about the marriage, let me enlighten you at once. Mr Darcy paid us an unexpected visit…”

--
[EXT. LONGBROURN, PARK - DAY]
[Elizabeth reads Mrs Gardiner’s letter as she walks across the lawn and sits on a stone bench by the stone wall.] 

Mrs Gardiner (V.O.): “…and so, my dear Lizzy, Mr Darcy would brook no opposition. He insisted on doing everything himself, and bearing the entirety of the expense. Nothing was to be done that he did not do himself; and your uncle, instead of being allowed to be of use to his niece, was forced to put up with having the credit of it.”

--
[INT. LONDON, THE GARDINERS' HOUSE - EVENING]
[The scene fades to Darcy speaking with the Gardiners.]

MR DARCY: I must be allowed to insist on this. The fault is mine, and so must the remedy be. It was through my mistaken pride, my reserve that Mr Wickham’s character has not been made known to the world. Had I not thought it beneath me to lay my private actions open to the world, his character would have been exposed, and this elopement could never have taken place. 

MR GARDINER: Mr Darcy, I really believe you take too much upon yourself. 

MR DARCY: I must insist on this, sir. I assure you, that in this matter, argument is fruitless. [He stands up.] The responsibility is mine. I must have it, sit. I shall not give way. 

[Mr Gardiner looks at his wife, and then shakes Mr Darcy’s hand in agreement.]

--
[EXT. LONGBOURN, PARK - DAY]
[The scene fades back to Elizabeth on the bench, and Wickham leans on the wall facing her.]

MR WICKHAM: My dear sister. 

[Elizabeth looks at Wickham and folds the letter.] 

MR WICKHAM: I’m afraid I’m interrupting your solitary reverie. 

ELIZABETH: You are indeed. But it doesn’t follow that the interruption must be unwelcome.

MR WICKHAM: It would be sorry if it were. You and I were always good friends.

ELIZABETH: True. 

MR WICKHAM: Then shall we take a turn together…sister? 

[Elizabeth gets up and they begin to walk together.]

MR WICKHAM: I was surprised to see Darcy in town last month. We, erm, we passed each other several times. I wonder what he could be doing there?

ELIZABETH: Perhaps preparing for the wedding…with Miss. De Bourgh. 

MR WICKHAM: Yes, yes, perhaps. 

ELIZABETH: It must have been something particular to take him there at this time of year.

MR WICKHAM: Undoubtedly. 

[They step onto the path to the house.] 

MR WICKHAM: Did you see him while you were at Lambton? I thought I understood from the Gardiners that you had.

ELIZABETH: Yes. He introduced us to his sister.

MR WICKHAM: Did you like her?

ELIZABETH: Yes. I did like her very much, indeed.

MR WICKHAM: Well, I have heard, indeed, that she is uncommonly improved within this last year or two. When I last saw her, she was not very promising. I’m glad you liked her. I hope she will turn out well. 

ELIZABETH: I daresay she will. She’s got over the most trying age.

MR WICKHAM: Did you go by the village of Kimpton? 

ELIZABETH: I don’t recollect that we…

MR WICKHAM: Oh, I mention it because it was the living I should have had. 

ELIZABETH: And how should you have liked making sermons?

MR WICKHAM: Exceedingly well.

ELIZABETH: I did hear that there was a time when sermon making was not so palatable to you as it seems to be at present. That you actually declared your resolution of never taking orders and were compensated accordingly. 

[Wickham looks down.]

MR WICKHAM: Well…

ELIZABETH: Oh, come, Mr Wickham, we are brother and sister, you know. 

[Elizabeth smiles.] 

ELIZABETH: Let us not quarrel about the past. 

[Elizabeth holds out her hand, which Wickham quickly takes and kisses, and they walk into the house.]

--
[EXT. LONGBOURN - DAY]
[The coach comes up to the front of the house and the Bennets and Wickhams emerge. Mrs Bennet and Lydia walk arm in arm.]

MRS BENNET: Oh, Lydia, when shall we meet again?

LYDIA: Lord, I don’t know. Not these two or three years perhaps.

MRS BENNET: Oh, not these two or three years. Oh, what shall I do? 

[Mrs Bennet hugs Lydia.] 

MRS BENNET: And Mr Bennet so cruel as to refuse to take us into the North Country. 

Mary: I should refuse to go, in any case. 

MRS BENNET: Oh, hold your tongue, girl! Who asked you? Oh, Lydia, you will write to me often, won’t you? 

[Mrs Bennet hugs Lydia again.]

LYDIA: Well, I don’t know. We married women don’t have much time for writing. My sisters may write to me. They will have nothing better to do, as I shall. 

[The Wickhams laugh.] 

MRS BENNET: Oh, Lydia. Oh, Mr Wickham, take care of my girl.

MR WICKHAM: I shall, Ma’am, to the very best of my ability. And thank you, Ma’am, and to you, sir, for your continues and unstinting kindness and hospitality. And to you, my dear sisters-in-law. And now as dear to me as sisters ever could be. But, the carriage awaits. Duty and honour call me to the north. And so, come, my dear. 

[Lydia and Wickham enter the coach and lean out the window.] 

MR WICKHAM: Let us say not farewell, but as the French have it, au revoir! 

[Lydia and the Bennets wave to each other as the coach drives off.] 

MR BENNET: He’s as fine a fellow as ever I saw. He simpers and smirks and makes love to us all. Hm. I’m prodigiously proud of him. I defy even Sir William Lucas himself to produce such a son-in-law. 

[Elizabeth laughs.]

--
[EXT/INT. LONGBOURN - DAY]
[The scene fades to Elizabeth and Jane walking around the grounds of Longbourn, Mary playing the piano inside the house, and a frustrated Kitty tossing aside a bonnet she is working on. Mrs Bennet gives multiple orders to Hill and other maids as she sits in her bedroom, and Mr Bennet chuckles and sips a drink while reading a book in his study.]

--
[INT. LONGBOURN, ELIZABETH’S BEDROOM - NIGHT]
[Elizabeth sits down at her mirror in her nightgown and blows out the candle.]



***


III. Mr Bingley Returns

[EXT. LONGBOURN - DAY]
[Mrs Philips walks down the lane to Longbourn.]

Mrs Philips (V.O.): Sister. Sister. Have you heard the news? Mr Bingley is coming back to Netherfield, and the whole town is talking of it. 

--
[EXT/INT. NETHERFIELD - DAY]
[The scene changes to servants exiting Netherfield to unload a cart, open windows, and carry supplies inside. The Netherfield chimney smokes. Mr Bingley and another man shoot at birds flying up from the bushes.]

--
[INT. LONGBOURN - DAY]
[Jane and Elizabeth wear aprons as they tie flowers together and hang them to dry.] 

JANE: No, I do assure you, this news does not affect me. Truly, Lizzy. I am glad of one thing – that he does not bring any ladies. If it is merely a shooting party, we shall not see him often. Not that I’m afraid of myself; but I dread other people’s remarks, Lizzy.

ELIZABETH: Than I shall venture none…

[Elizabeth looks at Jane.] 

ELIZABETH: ...however sorely I am tempted. 

[The sisters smile at each other.] 

ELIZABETH: After all, it is hard that the poor man can’t come to a house he’s legally rented without raising all this speculation. 

JANE: That is just what I think.

ELIZABETH: Then we shall leave him to himself. 

JANE: Yes. 

[Elizabeth hangs some flowers, looking at Jane with a smile. Jane smiles when she sees the look.] 

JANE: Stop it Lizzy. 

[Elizabeth giggles.] 

--
[INT. LONGBOURN, DRAWING ROOM - DAY]
[Mary plays the piano while Mrs Bennet talks. Mr Bennet stands in the drawing room while the others sit.] 

MRS BENNET: Three days he has been in the neighbourhood, and still he shuns us. I say it’s all your father’s fault. He would not do his duty and call, so you shall all die old maids. We shall be turned out by the Collinses to starve in the hedgerows. 


[Kitty stands and walks to the window.]

MR BENNET: You promised me last year that if I went to see him, he’d marry one of my daughters, and it all came to nothing. And I won’t be sent on a fool’s errand again. Hm.

KITTY: Mamma! Mamma, look! I think he is coming! 

[Jane looks at Elizabeth as Kitty and Mrs Bennet peer out the window at two men on horseback.]

MRS BENNET: Is it really him? I believe it must be. He has come, Jane! He has come at last. 

[Jane is trying to calm herself.] 

MRS BENNET: Run and put on your blue gown.

[Jane gets up to go change, but her mother grabs her arm and pulls her back into the chair.] 

MRS BENNET: No! No, stay where you are.

KITTY: Who is that with him?

MRS BENNET: Oh, Lord, I don’t know dear. 

[Elizabeth and Jane take hands.] 

MRS BENNET: Some acquaintance, I suppose.

KITTY: It looks like that man who used to be with him before. Mr… Oh, what’s his name? You know, that tall, proud one. 

[Jane shoots a look at Elizabeth, who looks as surprised and excited as Jane.]

MRS BENNET: Mr Darcy. I believe it is. Well, any friend of Mr Bingley’s will always be welcome here, to be sure. But else I must say that I hate the sight of him. 

[Mrs Bennet checks her appearance in the mirror.] 

MRS BENNET: But I’m determined to be civil - if only because the man is a friend of Bingley’s - but no more than civil. Oh, sit up straight, Jane. 

[Jane fixes her shoulders. Elizabeth also fixes her posture.] 

MRS BENNET: Pull your shoulders back. A man could go a long way without seeing a figure like yours, if you would only make the most of it. Oh! 

[She checks herself in the mirror again, but rushes back to a chair when she hears the front doors open; Hill enters with a smile and two men behind her.]

HILL: Mr Bingley and Mr Darcy, Ma’am. 

[Hill curtsies and the gentlemen enter. The Bennet ladies stand and they all bow and curtsy.]

MRS BENNET: Mr Bingley, you are very, very welcome.

MR BINGLEY: How do you do Mrs Bennet? I…

MRS BENNET: It is far too long since you were here; and very, very kind of you to call. 

[Elizabeth looks at Darcy, who catches her gaze for a moment.]

MRS BENNET: Mr Bennet, of course, would have paid his addresses before this were it not…well, here you are. (giggle) I am delighted. And Mr Darcy. (coldly) You are welcome, too. 

[Elizabeth looks at Darcy and then down, ashamed of her mother’s behaviour toward him. Mr Bingley and the Bennets sit, while Darcy walks to stand just behind Mr Bingley.] 

MRS BENNET: We began to be afraid you would never come back again. 

[Elizabeth looks at Darcy.] 

MRS BENNET: People did say you meant to quit the place entirely by Michaelmas. Huh, but I hope, however, that is not true. Ring the bell for tea, Kitty. 

[Kitty gets up from the table where the girls are sewing.] 

MRS BENNET: A great many changes have taken place since you went away. 

[Elizabeth looks at Darcy.] 

MRS BENNET: Miss Lucas is married and settled, and one of my own daughters. I expect you’ve heard of it. 

[Elizabeth looks at Darcy.] 

MRS BENNET: Indeed, you must have read it in the papers. 

MR BINGLEY: Yes, indeed, I…

MRS BENNET: Though, it was not put in properly. It only said, “Lately, George Wickham esquire to Miss Lydia Bennet.” 

[Annoyed, Darcy turns to the window.] 

MRS BENNET: Without a syllable said about who her father was, or where she lived, or anything. 

[Elizabeth is annoyed with her mother.] 

MRS BENNET: And now they are gone into Newcastle, and there they are to stay. I don’t know how long. I expect you’ve heard he’s gone into the regulars. Well, thank heaven he has some friends, though perhaps not as many as he deserves. 

[Elizabeth is upset and her voice shakes slightly.] 

ELIZABETH: Do you mean to stay long in the neighbourhood on this visit? 

MR BINGLEY: Er…

[Bingley looks at Darcy.] 

MR BINGLEY: Our plans are n--not yet firmly settled, but I hope…

[Jane smiles at Bingley, and Elizabeth looks at Jane.] 

MR BINGLEY: I hope we shall stay some weeks. 

[Bingley looks between Jane and Elizabeth.]

MR BINGLEY: I hope very much we shall stay a few weeks…at the very least. 

[Jane smiles warmly at Bingley as he gazes at her.] 

MRS BENNET: Well, when you have killed all your own birds, Mr Bingley, I beg you would come here and shoot as many as you please on Mr Bennet’s manor. I’m sure he will be vastly happy to oblige you. 

[Mrs Bennet looks disdainfully at Darcy.] 

MRS BENNET: Well, I suppose you may bring your friends, if you will. 

[Elizabeth sighs, distressed by her mother’s attitude towards him.]

--
[EXT. LONGBOURN, GARDENS - DAY]
[Darcy and Bingley ride slowly away from the house. Elizabeth and Jane walk along the garden path.]

JANE: Now that this first meeting is over, I feel perfectly at ease.

ELIZABETH: Good.

JANE: Now I know my own strength. And I shall never again be embarrassed by his coming. We shall be able to meet now as…as common and indifferent acquaintances. 

[Elizabeth smiles.] 

ELIZABETH: Yes, very indifferent. Jane, take care. 

JANE: You don’t think me to be in any danger now, Lizzy.

ELIZABETH: I think you are in very great danger of making him as much in love with you as ever. 

--
[EXT. NETHERFIELD - MORNING]
[A coach waits outside as Bingley and Darcy exit the house.] 

MR BINGLEY: You tell me now that she was in London all those months and you concealed it from me?

MR DARCY: Yes. I can offer no justification. It was an arrogant presumption based on a failure to recognize your true feelings…and Miss Bennet’s. 

[Darcy turns around when he reaches the coach.] 

MR DARCY: I should never have interfered. It was wrong of me, Bingley, and I apologize.

MR BINGLEY: Do you admit that you were in the wrong?

MR DARCY: Utterly and completely.

MR BINGLEY: Then…I have your blessing?

MR DARCY (amused): Do you need my blessing?

MR BINGLEY: No. But I should like to know I have it, all the same.

MR DARCY (smiling): Then go to it. 

[Darcy steps into his coach and Bingley watches him, still surprised, as it drives away.]

MR BINGLEY: Bring me my horse…at once. Quick, man!

--
[EXT. COUNTRY ROAD - MORNING]
[Mr Bingley rides to Longbourn.]

--
[INT. LONGBOURN, JANE’S BEDROOM - MORNING]
[Mrs Bennet runs to Jane’s room, both of them are still in their nightgowns.]

MRS BENNET: Jane! Jane! Oh, my dear Jane!

JANE: Mamma, what is the matter?

MRS BENNET: He is come! He is come!

JANE: Who is come?

MRS BENNET: Mr Bingley, of course! 

[Jane is startled and pauses to think.] 

MRS BENNET: Make haste! Make haste! Hurry down! Oh, gracious! You’re not half dressed! 

[Mrs Bennet leaves the room.] 

MRS BENNET: Hill! Hill! Oh, where is Hill? 

--
[INT. LONGBOURN, ELIZABETH’S ROOM - MORNING]
[Mrs Bennet rushes in as Sarah is doing Elizbeth’s hair.] 

MRS BENNET: Never mind, Sarah. You must come to Miss Bennet this moment. Come along, girl, and help her on with her gown. Never mind Miss Lizzy’s hair. 

--
[INT. LONGBOURN, UPSTAIRS CORRIDOR - MORNING]

KITTY: Mamma, where is my new locket that Lydia brought me from London? Mary, have you seen my new locket?

Mary: I shouldn’t know it if I did see it. I care nothing for such baubles. 

MRS BENNET: Oh, never mind your locket, girl! 

[Mary leaves, but Mrs Bennet, Kitty, Sarah, Jane and Elizabeth are all packed into the same corridor. Jane is un-braiding her hair.] 

MRS BENNET: Jane, stir yourself. He is here! He is here! 

JANE: Mamma, Lizzy and I will be down as soon as we can. Let Kitty go down. She is forwarder than any of us. 

MRS BENNET: Oh, hang Kitty! What is she to do with it? Jane, be quick. You must get dressed, dear. Oh, Hill! Hill! Where is Hill? 

[Kitty runs off crying. Mrs Bennet pushes Jane to her room to get dressed while Sarah follows them, and Elizabeth is left alone, still fixing her unfinished hair in the corridor.]

--
[INT. LONGBOURN, DRAWING ROOM - MORNING]
[Mr Bingley sits in Mr Bennet’s usual chair, while Mrs Bennet sits in hers, and the four girls sit opposite them. Everyone is silent and uncomfortable, except for Elizabeth who is smiling.] 

MRS BENNET: So, Mr Darcy had gone to town?

MR BINGLEY: Yes, Ma’am. He left quite early this morning. 

[Silence. Mrs Bennet winks at her daughters and motions her eyes toward Mr Bingley. Elizabeth the wink and looks away, but Kitty is confused.]

KITTY: What’s the matter, Mamma? Why do you keep winking at me? 

[Mrs Bennet rolls her eyes.] 

KITTY: What am I to do?

MRS BENNET: Wink at you? Why should I wink at you, child? What a notion. Why should I be winking at my own daughter, pray? But, now you ask, it puts me in mind. I do have something I would speak to you about. 

[Mrs Bennet gets up, so Mr Bingley rises too.] 

MRS BENNET: Come. Come with me. 

[Elizabeth looks away and sighs.] 

MRS BENNET: And you, Mary. Come. 

[Mrs Bennet, Mary, and Kitty get up and leave, and Mr Bingley nods a bow as they go. Bingley sits back down and Elizabeth turns slightly away, picking up some embroidery. Hill comes in, a bit unsure.]

HILL: Er, Miss. Elizabeth…er…you’re needed upstairs. 

[Hill curtsies before leaving. Jane is really tense, and Elizabeth puts down her sewing before standing up. Bingley stands nods to her with a smile as Elizabeth leaves. Elizabeth gives Jane a sympathetic look before closing the door. Bingley looks at Jane, who looks at him with a shy smile.]

--
[INT. LONGBOURN - MORNING]
[Mary, Kitty, Mrs Bennet, and Elizabeth sit and wait in a room upstairs.]

ELIZABETH: Mother, please let me go down to Jane. I promised I would stay with her.

MRS BENNET: Stay where you are. Five more minutes will do the trick. 

[Mrs Bennet looks very pleased with her scheming.] 

--
[INT. LONGBOURN, STAIRCASE/DRAWING ROOM - MORNING]
[Elizabeth hops quickly down the stairs, but pauses before she enters the drawing room. Bingley and Jane are standing very closely together, but Bingley is startled when Elizabeth enters.]

ELIZABETH: Oh, I am so sorry. 

[Elizabeth turns to leave.] 

JANE: No. No, don’t go, Lizzy. 

[Bingley whispers into Jane’s ear while Elizabeth walks slowly in, her back to the happy couple.]

MR BINGLEY: I shall…

[Jane nods and Bingley leaves, closing the door behind him. Elizabeth turns to Jane expectantly.]

ELIZABETH: Well? 

[Jane pauses for a moment.] 

JANE: Oh, Lizzy! 

[JAne rushes to Elizabeth with a huge smile and they hug, giggling with joy.] 

JANE: I’m so happy. 

[The sisters hold hands.] 

JANE: It is too much. It is too much. Oh, why can’t everyone be as happy as I am? (giggle) He loves me, Lizzy. He loves me.

ELIZABETH: Of course he does. 

JANE: He told me he always loved me, all the time. He didn’t believe…I must go and tell Mamma. 

[Jane heads for the door.] 

JANE: Oh, he has gone to Papa already. 

[Jane turns around and walks back to Elizabeth.] 

JANE: Oh, Lizzy, could you believe things could end in this happy way?

ELIZABETH: I could and I do.

JANE: I must go to my mother. 

[Jane backs up, but then goes back to Elizabeth.] 

JANE: Oh, Lizzy…to know I shall be giving such pleasure to all my dear family. How shall I bear so much happiness? 

[Jane kisses Elizabeth’s cheek and finally leaves with a glowing smile.]

--
[EXT. LONGBOURN - DAY]
[The Bennets and Mr Bingley exit the front door where a servant is waiting with Bingley’s horse.]

MR BENNET: Come back tomorrow, sir, if you can bear to. Come and shoot with me, if you will. There are few men whose society I can tolerate with equanimity, but I believe you may turn out to be one of them. 

[Bingley and Mr Bennet shake hands.]

MR BINGLEY: Thank you, sir. I shall be very happy to.

MR BENNET: Very well, very well. Get along with you. Hm. 

[Bingley mounts his horse and takes off his hat in farewell.]

MR BINGLEY: Till tomorrow, then. 

[Bingley rides off and the Bennets watch him go.]

MR BENNET: Jane, congratulations. You will be a very happy woman.

JANE: Thank you, father. 

[Jane gives her father a kiss on the cheek.] 

JANE: I believe I shall.

MR BENNET: Well, well, you’re a good girl. 

[Mr Bennet takes Janes hand and they walk toward the house.] 

MR BENNET: And I have no doubt you will do very well together. You’re each of you so complying that nothing will ever be resolved on.

JANE (laughs): Papa…

MR BENNET: So easy that every servant will cheat you…

JANE: No, indeed. 

MR BENNET: And so generous that you will always exceed your income.

MRS BENNET: Exceed their income! What are you talking about? Don’t you know he has 5,000 a year? 

[Mr Bennet and Kitty and Mary enter the house.] 

MRS BENNET: Oh, my dear, dear Jane. 

[Mrs Bennet gives Jane a kiss on the cheek.] 

MRS BENNET: I am so happy. Oh, I knew how it would be. I was sure you could not be so beautiful for nothing. He is the handsomest man that was ever seen. 

[Mrs Bennet enters the house. Jane turns to Elizabeth, who is waiting behind her.] 

JANE: Oh, Lizzy, if I could only see you as happy. If there were only such another man for you.

ELIZABETH: If you were to give me forty such men, I could never be as happy as you. Till I have your goodness I can never have your happiness. But…

[Elizabeth and Jane walk toward the house.] 

ELIZABETH: …perhaps, if I have very good luck, I may, in time meet with another Mr Collins. 

[They exchange a look and laugh.]

IV. Lady Catherine's Sentiments

--
[INT. LONGBOURN, DRAWING ROOM - DAY]
[Lady Catherine and her daughter pull up to Longbourn in their carriage. Kitty sees it and runs to the drawing room.]

KITTY: Mamma! Lizzy! Come and look! The most enormous carriage has arrived. 

[Mrs Bennet and Elizbeth get up to look out the window, but by then they can hear Lady Catherine’s voice in the front hall.]

LADY CATHERINE: What an extremely small hall!

HILL: If you will wait here, Your Ladyship, I’ll tell my mistress you are here. 

[Mrs Bennet, Kitty, and Elizabeth come away from the window.]

LADY CATHERINE: No, I will not wait. Where is she? Is this the drawing room? 

[Hill rushes out in front of Lady Catherine to introduce her, and bobs a curtsy.] 

HILL: Lady Catherine de Bourgh. 

[Mrs Bennet, Kitty, and Elizabeth curtsy to Lady Catherine. Lady Catherine merely walks in and sits on the couch and an awkward silence follows.]

LADY CATHERINE: That lady, I suppose, is your mother.

ELIZABETH: Yes, she is. Mamma, this is Lady Catherine de Bourgh. 

[Lady Catherine nods.] 

LADY CATHERINE: And that, I suppose, is one of your sisters. 

MRS BENNET (respectfully): Yes, Ma’am. She is my youngest girl, but one. My youngest of all is lately married.

LADY CATHERINE: You have a very small park here. And this must be a most inconvenient sitting room for the evening in summer. Why, the windows are full west. 

MRS BENNET: Indeed, they are, Your Ladyship…

[Mrs Bennet sits down.] 

MRS BENNET: …but we never set in here after dinner. We have… 

[Lady Catherine stands up and speaks to Elizabeth.]

LADY CATHERINE: Miss Bennet, there seemed to be a prettyish kind of little wilderness on one side of your lawn. 

[Lady Catherine walks toward the door, which Kitty opens.] 

LADY CATHERINE: I should be glad to take a turn in it, if you would favour me with your company. 

[Elizabeth pauses before following her, and Mrs Bennet stares at them silently as they exit.]

--
[EXT. LONGBOURN, PARK - DAY]
[Lady Catherine walks beyond the stone wall and Elizabeth follows, wearing a jacket and gloves. Lady Catherine turns around when she reaches the stone benches and Elizabeth stops.] 

LADY CATHERINE: You can be at no loss to understand the reason for my journey, Miss Bennet. 

ELIZABETH: Indeed, you are mistaken, Madam. I am quite unable to account for the honour of seeing you here.

LADY CATHERINE: Miss Bennet, you ought to know I am not to be trifled with. But however insincere you choose to be, you shall not find me so. A report of an alarming nature reached me two days ago. I was told not only that your sister was to be most advantageously married, but that you, Miss. Elizabeth Bennet, would be soon afterwards united to my own nephew, Mr Darcy. 

[Elizabeth gapes in surprise, while Lady Catherine circles her.] 

LADY CATHERINE: Though I know it must be a scandalous falsehood, I instantly resolved on setting off for this place to make my sentiments known to you.

ELIZABETH: If you believed it to be impossible wonder you took the trouble of coming so far. What would your ladyship propose by it?

LADY CATHERINE: At once to insist upon having such a report universally contradicted.

ELIZABETH: Your coming to Longbourn to see me will be taken as a confirmation of it, if, indeed, such a report exists.

LADY CATHERINE: This is not to be borne. Miss Bennet, I insist on being satisfied. Has my nephew made you an offer of marriage? 

ELIZABETH: Your ladyship had declared it to be impossible.

LADY CATHERINE: It ought to be so; but your arts and allurements may have made him forget what he owes to himself and all the family. You may have drawn him in.

ELIZABETH: If I had, I should be the last person to confess it. 

[Lady Catherine closes her eyes.]

LADY CATHERINE: Miss Bennet, do you know who I am?

[Elizabeth regards Lady Catherine stiffly.] 

LADY CATHERINE: I have not been accustomed to such language as this. I am almost the nearest relation he has, and I am entitled to know all his nearest concerns. 

ELIZABETH: But you are not entitled to know mine, nor will such behaviour as this induce me to be explicit. 

LADY CATHERINE: Let me be rightly understood. This match, to which you have the presumption to aspire, can never take place. Mr Darcy is engaged to my daughter. Now what have you to say?

ELIZABETH: Only this: That if he is so, you can have no reason to suppose he’ll make an offer to me.

LADY CATHERINE: The engagement between them is of a peculiar kind. 

[Lady Catherine circles Elizabeth again.] 

LADY CATHERINE: From their infancy, they have been intended for each other. It was the favourite wish of his mother, as well as hers. While she was in her cradle, we planned the union; and now to be prevented by the upstart pretensions of a young woman without family connections or fortune! Is this to be endured? It shall not be. Your alliance would be a disgrace. Your name would never even be mentioned by any of us.

ELIZABETH: These would be heavy misfortunes, indeed.

LADY CATHERINE: Obstinate, headstrong girl! I’m ashamed of you. I have not been in the habit of brooking disappointment. 

ELIZABETH: That will make your ladyship’s situation at present more pitiable, but it will have no effect on me.

LADY CATHERINE: I will not be interrupted. If you were sensible of your own good, you would not wish to quit the sphere in which you‘ve been brought up.

ELIZABETH: Lady Catherine, in marrying your nephew, I should not consider myself as quitting that sphere. He is a gentleman. I am a gentleman’s daughter. So far, we are equal. 

LADY CATHERINE: But who is your mother? Who are your uncles and aunts? Do not imagine me ignorant of their condition.

ELIZABETH: Whatever my connections may be, if your nephew does not object to them, they can be nothing to you. 

LADY CATHERINE: Tell me once and for all! Are you engaged to him?! 

[Elizabeth pauses.]

ELIZABETH: I am not. 

[Lady Catherine releases a sigh of relief and closes her eyes.]

LADY CATHERINE: And will you promise me never to enter into such an engagement?

ELIZABETH: I will make no promise of the kind, and I must…

LADY CATHERINE: But…

ELIZABETH: …beg you not to importune me any further on the subject. 

[Elizabeth turns and walks away, but Lady Catherine follows her.]

LADY CATHERINE: Not so hasty, if you please. I have another objection. Your youngest sister’s infamous elopement. I know it all. Oh, is such a girl to be my nephew’s sister-in-law? 

[Elizabeth stops and turns to face Lady Catherine.] 

LADY CATHERINE: Are the shades of Pemberley to be thus polluted?

ELIZABETH: You can have nothing further to say. You have insulted me by every possible method. I must beg to return to the house. 

[Lady Catherine continues following Elizabeth.] 

LADY CATHERINE: You--you have no regard then for the honour and credit of my nephew? Unfeeling, selfish girl! You refuse to oblige me. You refuse the claims of duty, honour, gratitude. 

[Lady Catherine meets Elizabeth at her carriage.] 

LADY CATHERINE: You are determined to ruin him and make him the contempt of the world.

ELIZABETH: I am only resolved to act in a manner, which will constitute my own happiness, without reference to you or to any person so wholly unconnected with me.

LADY CATHERINE: And this is your final resolve? 

[Elizabeth tilts up her chin, breathing hard.] 

LADY CATHERINE: Very well. I shall know how to act. 

[Elizabeth huffs as Lady Catherine climbs into her carriage.] 

LADY CATHERINE: I take no leave of you, Miss Bennet. I send no compliments to your mother. You deserve no such attention. I am most seriously displeased. Drive on. 

[Elizabeth watches the carriage drive off and turns toward the house.]



***


V. A More Gentleman-like Manner

[Mr Bennet emerges from his study and sees Elizabeth in the corridor.]

MR BENNET: Lizzy, Lizzy, I was going to look for you. Come into my room 

[They go in and Mr Bennet closes the door.] 

MR BENNET: I’ve received a letter this morning, which has astonished me exceedingly…

[Elizabeth sighs.] 

MR BENNET: …from Mr Collins. 

[Elizabeth snaps her head back to look at the letter in his hands.] 

ELIZABETH: What can he have to say?

MR BENNET: Well, he begins with congratulations on the approaching nuptials of my eldest daughter, but I shan’t sport with your intelligence by, ahem, reading his remarks on that topic. Ah, yes, here, here, here. Ahem, “your daughter Elizabeth, it is presumed, will not long bear the name of Bennet after her eldest sister has resigned it and the chosen partner of her fate may be reasonably looked up to as one of the most illustrious personages in the land.”

[Mr Bennet looks at Elizabeth with a smile and she erases the tense look on her face.] 

MR BENNET: Can you guess who he means? Lizzy? Hmm? 

[Elizabeth shakes her head and Mr Bennet flips to another page.] 

MR BENNET: Now, now, now it comes out. “My motive for cautioning you is as follows: his aunt, Lady Catherine de Bourgh, does not look on the match with a friendly eye.” 

[Elizabeth is breathing hard as her father reads it, but again erases that expression when he looks at her.] 

MR BENNET: Mr Darcy, you see, is the man. Mr Darcy, of all men! Ha. 

[He walks over to his desk.] 

MR BENNET: Who never looks at a woman except to see her blemish. (chuckles) Are you not diverted?

[Elizabeth smiles reluctantly at her father's jest and pretends to laugh.]

ELIZABETH: Oh, yes.

MR BENNET: Mr Darcy, who probably…

[Elizabeth’s smile fades.] 

MR BENNET: …never looked at you in his life before. Ha, this is admirable. 

[Mr Bennet sees Elizabeth’s uncomfortable expression.] 

MR BENNET: But, Lizzy, you look as if you didn’t enjoy it. 

[Mr Bennet removes his classes.] 

MR BENNET: You’re not going to be missish now and pretend to be affronted by an idle report?

[Elizabeth smiles and pretends to laugh again.]

ELIZABETH: Oh, no, no, I am excessively diverted, but i--it’s all so strange.

MR BENNET: But pray, what--what said Lady Catherine de Bourgh? I suppose she came to refuse her consent, eh? 

[Mr Bennet laughs, and Elizabeth smiles while he's looking.] 

MR BENNET: Well, well, what so we live for, but to make sport for our neighbours and laugh at them in our turn.

ELIZABETH: True, true.

--
[INT. LONGBOURN, DRAWING ROOM - DAY]
[The Bennet ladies work on various feminine hobbies. The door opens and Hill enters, bobbing a curtsy.]

HILL: Mr Bingley and Mr Darcy, Ma’am. 

[The ladies stand.]

MRS BENNET: Ah.

MR BINGLEY: Good day to you. 

[Mr Bingley bows and they curtsy.] 

MRS BENNET: Mr Bingley. 

[Mr Bingley walks to Jane and takes her hand to kiss it, while Darcy bows to Elizabeth.]

MR BINGLEY: This is a fine day. Should we, perhaps, all walk toward Meryton? 

[Elizabeth curtsies and she and Darcy look at one another.]

--
[EXT. COUNTRY ROAD - DAY]
[Jane and Bingley walk down the road together, Elizabeth and Darcy several feet behind them, and Kitty several feet behind them. Kitty looks down a connecting road and runs closer to them when she looks to a lane connected to the road.] 

KITTY: Lizzy…

[Elizabeth and Darcy look back.] 

KITTY: Do you mind if I just run down the lane here to call on Maria Lucas?

ELIZABETH: Er, no, not at all. 

[Kitty leaves and they continue walking, Elizabeth looks at Darcy, then away, and then back at him again as they walk.] 

ELIZABETH: Mr Darcy…

[Darcy stops and turns to face Elizabeth.]

ELIZABETH: I can go no longer without thanking you for your kindness to my poor sister. Ever since I have known of it, I have been most anxious…(breathing hard) to tell you how grateful I am for my family and for myself. 

[Darcy turns and continues walking.] 

ELIZABETH: You must not blame my aunt for telling me. Lydia betrayed it first, and then I couldn’t rest till I knew everything. I know what trouble and what…mortification it must have cost you. 

[Elizabeth looks at Darcy anxiously.] 

ELIZABETH: Please let me say this. Please allow me…to thank you on behalf of all my family, since…they don’t know to whom they are indebted. 

MR DARCY: If you will thank me, let it be for yourself alone. Your family owes me nothing. As much as I respect them, I believe I thought only of you. 

[Elizabeth breathes a sigh. Darcy stops and turns to her.] 

MR DARCY: You are too generous to trifle with me. If your feelings are what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes are unchanged. But one word from you will silence me on this subject forever. 

[Darcy looks down a bit sadly.] 

ELIZABETH: Oh, my feelings. My feelings are…I’m ashamed to remember what I said then. My feelings are so different. In fact… 

[Elizabeth looks Darcy in the eye.] 

ELIZABETH: …they are quite the opposite. 

[Darcy soaks in her words, and Elziabeth beams as they turn and continue walking. Darcy begins to smile.]

MR DARCY: Lady Catherine told me of her meeting with you. I may say that her disclosure had quite the opposite effect to the one she intended. It taught me to hope as I’d scarcely ever allowed myself to hope before. I knew that, had you absolutely decided against me, you would have acknowledged it openly. 

[Elizabeth smiles and laughs.] 

ELIZABETH: Yes, you know enough of my frankness to believe me capable of that! After abusing you so abominably to your face, I could have no scruple of abusing you to all your relations.

MR DARCY: But what did you say of me that I did not deserve? My behaviour to you at the time was unpardonable. I can hardly think of it without abhorrence. Your reproof I shall never forget. “…had you behaved in a more gentleman-like manner.” You know not how those words have tortured me.

ELIZABETH: I had not the smallest idea of their ever being taken in such a way.

MR DARCY: I can easily believe it. You thought me devoid of every proper feeling, I am sure you did. The turn of your countenance I shall never forget, and you said that I could not have addressed you in any possible way that would induce you to accept me. 

ELIZABETH: Oh, do not repeat what I said then. 

MR DARCY: No. I’ve been a selfish being all my life. As a child I was given good principles, but was left to follow them in pride and conceit; and such I might still have been but for you…

[Darcy looks down at her tenderly.] 

MR DARCY: …dearest loveliest Elizabeth. 

[Elizabeth looks shyly up at him, surprised and filled by his words. They continue walking.]



***


VI. This Man and This Woman

[Darcy and Elizabeth continue down the road while Jane and Bingley walk some distance in front of them.] 

JANE (V.O.): Engaged to Mr Darcy?!

--
[INT. LONGBOURN, ELIZABETH’S BEDROOM - NIGHT]
[Elizabeth’s is wearing the pretty nightgown with the shear robe, Jane is dressed for in a nightgown as well, and Elizabeth is beaming as she sits in a chair facing both the large and small mirror.] 

JANE: No, you are joking. It is impossible. 

[Elizabeth chuckles as she turns to Jane.] 

ELIZABETH: This is a wretched beginning. If you don’t believe me, I’m sure no one else will. Indeed, I am in earnest. He still loves me, and we are engaged.

JANE: No, Lizzy. It can’t be true. I know how much you dislike him. 

ELIZABETH (chuckle): Oh, no. It is all forgotten. 

[Elizabeth stands up and sits on the bed next to Jane.] 

ELIZABETH: Perhaps I didn’t always love him as well as I do now; but in such cases as these, a good memory is unpardonable. 

[Jane leans forward.]

JANE: Dearest Lizzy, do be serious. How long have you loved him?

ELIZABETH: Well, it’s been coming on so gradually, I hardly know. But…I believe I must date it from my first seeing his beautiful grounds at Pemberley. 

[Jane and Elizabeth burst out laughing.]

JANE: Lizzy!

--
[INT. LONGBOURN, STUDY - DAY]
[Mr Bennet and Elizabeth in his study, he gets up from his desk chair and sits down across from her.]

MR BENNET: Are you out of your senses to be accepting this man, Lizzy? Have you not always hated him? 

ELIZABETH: Papa…

MR BENNET: I’ve given him my consent. He’s the kind of man, indeed, to whom I should never dare refuse anything. 

[Elizabeth lets out a puffs of laughter.] 

MR BENNET: But let me advise you to think the better of it. I know your disposition, Lizzy. My child, let me not have the grief of seeing you unable to respect your partner in life. He’s rich to be sure, but will he make you happy?

ELIZABETH: Have you any objections apart from your belief in my indifference? 

MR BENNET: None whatever. We all know him to be a proud, unpleasant sort of man; but this would be nothing if you really liked him. 

ELIZABETH: I do. I do like him. 

[Elizabeth smiles.] 

ELIZABETH: I love him. Indeed, he has no improper pride. He’s perfectly amiable. If only you knew his generous nature. I didn’t always love him. But I love him now so very dearly. He is truly the best man I have ever known. 

[Mr Bennet regards his daughter.]

MR BENNET: Well, my dear, if this be the case, he deserves you. 

[Mr Bennet stands.] 

MR BENNET: I could not have parted with you to anyone…less worthy, Lizzy. 

[Mr Bennet kisses Elizabeth’s forehead, and looks down at her with a bittersweet smile.]

--
[INT. LONGBOURN CHURCH - DAY]
[The scene fades to a wedding ceremony, a minister, and an audience of friends and relatives.]

MINISTER: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here in the sight of God, and in the face of this congregation, to join together this man and this woman…

[Bingley and Jane.] 

MINISTER: …and this man and this woman 

[Darcy and Elizabeth.] 

MINISTER: …in holy matrimony, which is an honourable estate, instituted by God in the time of man’s innocency, signifying unto us 

[Georgiana, Miss. Bingley, Col. Fitzwilliam, the Hursts.] 

MINISTER: …the mystical union that is between Christ and his church, and therefore… 

[Mr and Mrs Bennet, the Gardiners, Maria Lucas.] 

MINISTER: …is not by any to be enterprised lightly or wantonly to satisfy man’s carnal lusts and appetites, but reverently…

[Mary, Kitty, Mrs Philips.] 

MINISTER: …discreetly, advisedly, soberly…

[The Collinses.] 

MINISTER: …and in the fear of God, duly considering the causes for which matrimony was ordained. 

[Charlotte looks sideways at her husband. The Gardiners, Mrs Philips, the Lucases.] 

MINISTER: First, it was ordained for the procreation of children. 

--
[INT. ROSINGS PARK, DRAWING ROOM - DAY]
[Lady Catherine and her daughter sit miserably alone.] 

MINISTER: Secondly, as a remedy against sin…

--
[INT. LONDON, INN - DAY]
[Mr Wickham drinking, while Lydia rubs him with her foot on the bed.] 

MINISTER: …and to avoid fornication. Thirdly…

[Mr Darcy and Elizabeth.] 

MINISTER: …for the mutual society, help, and comfort that the one ought to have of the other… 

[Darcy looks down at Elizabeth.] 

MINISTER: …both in prosperity…

[Bingley looks down at Jane.] 

MINISTER: …and adversity into which holy estate these persons present… 

[Jane and Bingley look and smile at each other.] 

MINISTER: …come now to be joined.

--
[EXT. LONGBOURN - DAY]
[People cheer as Maria and Lydia hold up a wreath arch for the couples to walk under. Jane and Bingley and Elizabeth and Darcy laugh and smile as they walk to their carriages. People shout their congratulations to them as they step into their carriages. Jane and Bingley hold hands and gaze fondly at each other. Darcy and Elizabeth laugh as their carriage takes off and the crowd waves and cheers.]

MRS BENNET: Three daughters married. Oh, Mr Bennet, God has been very good to us. 

MR BENNET: Yes, so it would seem. 

[As their carriage drives away, Elizabeth and Darcy gaze lovingly at each other as they lean forward for their very first kiss.]

Welcome to For Pride and Prejudice

For Pride and Prejudice is a resourceful tool for avid readers to submerge themselves into the realm of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudi...